Many of us wouldn't dream of taking a trip without our pets, whether across town or across the country. The good news is, with a little prepping and planning, it's possible to take our pets almost anywhere. These safety tips can help alleviate travel stress for you and your furry friends — and ensure a safe and memorable trip for everyone.
Pet travel tips
- Schedule a pre-trip visit with your vet to confirm that vaccinations are up-to-date
- Make sure pets have a microchip and wear a collar with identification that includes your name and phone number
- Create a pet-friendly travel kit that includes food, collapsible bowls, a leash, grooming supplies, waste scoop and plastic bags, medications — and plenty of water
- Keep your pet at ease by bringing along a familiar bed, pillow, blanket and favourite toys
- Keep pets safe and secure with a well-ventilated crate or carrier
- Feed pets a few hours prior to departure
- Maintain regular diet routines to lend some comfort when your pet may be feeling disoriented in a new territory
- Bring a copy of your pet's medical record
- Know how to access veterinary care away from home
- Find pet-friendly accomodations, parks, activities and more
Tips for on the road
- Prepare your pet in advance by taking short drives
- Consider investing in waterproof seat covers and floor liners
- Never leave pets alone in a parked vehicle
Tips for in the air
- Bring small pets on the plane where they can ride under your seat
- Book a direct flight if possible
- Review your airline's pet policy
*Subject to credit approval.
CareCredit provides information solely for your convenience. Please always consult with a physician on any medical decisions. This content is subject to change without notice and offered for informational use only. You are urged to consult with your individual business, financial, legal, tax and/or other advisors and/or medical providers with respect to any information presented. CareCredit, Synchrony and any of its affiliates (collectively, "Synchrony") make no representations or warranties regarding this content and accept no liability for any loss or harm arising from the use of the information provided. Your receipt of this material constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
"Travel Safety Tips," ASPCA, https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/general-pet-care/travel-safety-tips , accessed June 22, 2017
"10 Tips for Safe Car Travel with Your Pet," WebMD, http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/10_tips_for_safe_car_travel_with_your_pet , accessed June 22, 2017
"Pet Travel," by Yahaira Cespedes, PetMD, http://www.petmd.com/dog/care/evr_multi_pet_travel# , accessed June 23, 2017
Interested in financing veterinary procedures?